Contact InformationContact Carrie or Pam
: St. Johnsbury, Caledonia County, VT
More InformationGreen Mountain United Way is seeking 3-6 individuals to become trained volunteer tax preparers. Each person will be fully trained by our partners at Capstone Community Action and will need to pass the IRS Volunteer Tax Law test, but will be given full support to get trained.
Once trained each volunteer will be asked to prepare taxes at one of our Working Bridges Free Mobile Tax Prep days in late February/March for eligible individuals. This work is done during the work day in Caledonia County, primarily. Shifts are about 8 hours, including travel, and a travel stipend is available to volunteers to get to these sites. During this shift volunteers can expect to prepare taxes for about 6 individuals/families through an online tax filing system during hour-long appointments. Most taxes are straightforward (not involving complex deductions, etc.) and interested individuals should review the link for the "job description" to understand the scope of this volunteer role, but here is a short list:
• Attend new and/or refresher tax law training and certification as needed, including the use of electronic filing software.
• Successfully pass a test on required tax law knowledge.
• Provide high-quality assistance to all customers. Directly prepare customer’s return based on information provided by customer or answer tax-related questions.
• Interview customer to determine if all income, deductions and allowable credits are claimed.
• Prepare only those tax returns for which training and certification were provided.
• Prepare tax returns using electronic filing software.
• Maintain confidentiality of customer information.
• Basic tax knowledge (Form 1040, Form 1040A and Form 1040EZ). Basic tax training and certification will be provided as needed.
• Willingness to share time, skills and interests
• Volunteer a minimum of 2 full days for 8 for the Working Bridges Volunteer Tax Program from approximately mid-February – late March
• Basic computer skills for inputting tax return information; willing to troubleshoot.
• Pride in performing tasks completely and accurately.
• Deal with the public in a helpful and supportive manner, including interviewing skills. Interviewing skills training will be provided as needed.
• Friendly, dependable and flexible.
Roughly 15-20 hours of training
8-16 hours of volunteer time to prepare taxes.